Leaders in eco-friendly paper manufacturing
Can we help you? info@lcpaper.net
Already a client? Access the intranet

History and trajectory

Grelon and Rosal

In 1881, Frenchman Grelon partnered with vendor Rosal to build a paper mill on the bank of the Fluvià river that used recycled cloth as a raw material. The company was incorporated.
1881

"Papelera La Confianza"

In the mid-twentieth century, the Vila family, which had a tradition in papermaking, took over the business which was called La Confianza.
1950

Tissue paper machine

The factory produced paper for various purposes until it opened the PM3, intended for the production of tissue for hygiene products. Production increased noticeably.
2006

The new "converting" plant

The R&D project for single-layer paper end products without CO2 emissions was part of the EU 2020 Horizon program and resulted in the launch of a new plant.
2017

The beginnings: a paper factory in the
Fluvià river, at the end of the 19th century

The origin of our paper mill must be located in 1881, when a Frenchman named Jean Grelon and the merchant Sebastian Rosal decided to build a paper factory on the bank of the Fluvià. The construction of a continuous paper mill in Besalú was not an isolated fruit, but the result of a movement to build paper mills with continuous machines, as a result of the modernization of the paper mills on the Olot-Girona axis. This axis is still alive today and is the most important industrial axis of the Girona region. The transformation of paper mills into continuous factories was the most important exponent of the industrial revolution in the area.






From one to four machines:
LC Paper's growth

In 1973, LC Paper inaugurated a paper treatment plant using the technology of recovery by dispersion. It was the second plant of its kind in the world. In 1989, a water treatment plant was constructed with physical-chemical treatment by decantation. From 1992, the company manufactured 100% recycled photocopy paper, a product that combined with others such as support paper with polyethylene coating, absorbent papers, paper for tablecloths, napkins or wrapping..

In 1993, the company launched a power plant that used cogeneration technology. The plant was upgraded in 1999. In total it produces 12 MW of electricity and 6,400 kg/h of steam. In 1999, LC Paper obtained the European Union's Ecolabel badge. Also in 1999 it inaugurated a new paper machine: the "machine 2". In 2009 it started up a new tissue paper machine, the "machine 3", aimed at the production of hygienic and sanitary products for the collectivities market (Away-from-Home). The tissue machine takes the gases from an engine of the cogeneration plant to send them to the hood of the machine.

In 2017, LC Paper enters the Horizon 2020 program of the European Union, which finances the construction of the "machine 4": a plant for the production of a finished product (converting) of tissue, mainly hygienic and hand-drying. The products handled are exclusively single-layer, making use of the OnePly® technology developed in-house.






Creating our own culture:
sustainability on the top of our list

Throughout this period of expansion, LC Paper has opted to become a world leader in terms of sustainability in papermaking. That is why the company has generated its own culture based on internal engineering, research and product development. This culture has allowed to generate a portfolio of patents and has pushed to the market several breakthrough products in terms of sustainability. The result of this commitment is a large list of awards and recognitions that the company has obtained in recent years, which place it in a position of reference in the papermaking world.